Visiting Hawaii Island
Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Hawaii Island, and visitors give high marks for the volcano viewpoints, seaside, and local tours. Top sights in the city include Mauna Kea, Mauna Kea Observatory, and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
- There are 2010 hotels and other accommodations in Hawaii Island
- The closest major airport is in Kamuela, HI (MUE-Waimea-Kohala) 47.7 from the city center
- The next closest is in Hilo, HI (ITO-Hilo Intl.) 53 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Hawaii Island
Cultural venues in the city include Imiloa Astronomy Center, Lyman Museum, and Pacific Tsunami Museum. Attractions like Panaewa Rainforest Zoo, Mauna Loa Observatory, and Subaru Telescope are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Mauna Kea Observatory, Captain Cook Monument, and Hulihee Palace.
In Hawaii Island, you'll be able to select from 2010 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday getaway. Here are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Ohi'a Park Estate - This 4-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and room size.
- Mahana House Country Inn - Our customers like the room size and location at this guesthouse. With a stay at this 4-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to free parking and laundry facilities, along with an in-room kitchenette.
- The Kimos' Ohanas B&B - This 3-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers like its breakfast and quiet location.
Other favorite sights in Hawaii Island include Mauna Kea, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park.
Dressing for Hawaii Island
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 79°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 63°F
- From April to June, the average is 83°F during the day and 65°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 83°F during the day and 69°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 83°F as the daytime average and 64°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Hawaii Island is 126.69 inches
- August and September are usually the hottest months averaging 83°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 64°F