Travelers to Kailua-Kona give high marks for the seaside, volcano viewpoints, and abundant coffeehouses. This city also attracts tourists with its shopping and restaurants. Top sights around the area include Hulihee Palace, Hapuna Beach State Park, and Pu'ukohola Heiau National Historic Site.
- There are 976 hotels and other accommodations in Kailua-Kona
- The closest major airport is in Kailua-Kona, HI (KOA-Kona Intl.) 17.7 from the city center
- The next closest is in Kamuela, HI (MUE-Waimea-Kohala) 33.9 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Kailua-Kona
Attractions like Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation, Kona Community Aquatic Center, and Kona Le'a Plantation are fun for kids of all ages. The seaside, volcanoes, and sunsets highlight the city's natural beauty, and Queen's Bath, Kiholo Bay, and Manini'owali Beach are worth a visit. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Keauhou Shopping Center is a favorite for retail therapy.
In Kailua-Kona, you'll find 976 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday retreat. These are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Ohi'a Park Estate - This 4-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and room size.
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai - Our customers like the dining options and beach locale at this resort. With a stay at this 5-star resort, guests can enjoy access to 7 outdoor pools and a full-service spa, along with free WiFi.
- Big Island Retreat - Guests who stay at this 2.5-star guesthouse in Kahaluu Bay can enjoy access to free parking and a terrace, along with an in-room kitchenette. Expedia customers like its beach locale and comfortable rooms.
Other top sights in Kailua-Kona include Hulihee Palace. Outside the city, popular places to see include Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, located 23.4 mi (37.6 from the heart of the city, and Mauna Kea Observatory, which is 26.4 mi (42.5 away.
Dressing for Kailua-Kona
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 83°F and the nighttime average to be 66°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 86°F during the day and 68°F at night
- July through September averages 87°F during the day and 72°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 87°F during the day and 67°F at night
- About 11.93 inches of rain falls on Kailua-Kona each year
- Hottest months are usually September and August with an average temperature of 87°F, while the coldest months are February and March with an average of 66°F