Visiting Whitsunday Island
Visitors can enjoy all that Whitsunday Island has to offer including the beaches and sporting events. A top sight in the city is Whitehaven Beach. The closest major airport is in Hamilton Island, QLD (HTI-Great Barrier Reef) 11.2 from the city center. The next closest is in Proserpine, QLD (PPP-Whitsunday Coast) 51.9 away.
Sightseeing and Staying in Whitsunday Island
A favorite place to visit in the city is Whitehaven Beach. In the area, you'll also find Catseye Beach and Hamilton Island Bowling Alley.
As you plan your vacation to Whitsunday Island, your ideal accommodation may not be centrally located but you'll find 34 hotels and lodging options locally. Here are a few of the places to stay in the region:
- Barefoot Lodge is located 1.3 mi from the heart of Whitsunday Island. Guests who stay at this 1.5-star hostel in Whitsunday Island can enjoy access to a restaurant and a private balcony.
- BIG4 Airlie Cove Resort and Caravan Park is 16.1 mi from central Whitsunday Island. This 4-star apartment in Hamilton Island features an outdoor pool, free parking, and a spa tub. Our customers like its dining options and pool.
- Whitsunday Apartments is 6.5 mi from the center of Whitsunday Island. This 4-star hotel in Hamilton Island features a marina, a full-service spa, and a restaurant. Our customers like its family-friendly amenities and breakfast.
Dressing for Whitsunday Island
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 87°F and the nighttime average to be 70°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 83°F during the day and 56°F at night
- July through September averages 81°F during the day and 56°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 87°F during the day and 65°F at night
- About 1.89 inches of rain falls on Whitsunday Island each year
- Hottest months are usually December and January with an average temperature of 87°F, while the coldest months are July and June with an average of 57°F