Search over 1 million properties and 550 airlines worldwide
Free cancellation on most hotels. Because flexibility matters.
Meal plans available
You could be seeing lower prices
Where to stay in Melbourne
Families will find kid-friendly activities in Melbourne, and visitors give high marks for the shopping, renowned art, and fascinating museums. Tourists who journey to this vibrant city can discover its architecture, restaurants, and theaters. Top sights in the city include Melbourne Cricket Ground, St. Kilda Beach, and Bourke Street Mall.
- There are 1260 hotels and other accommodations in Melbourne
- The closest major airport is in Melbourne, VIC (MEB-Essendon) 11.2 from the city center
- The next closest is in Melbourne, VIC (MEL-Tullamarine) 18.9 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Melbourne
Known for its art, museums, and theaters, the city's cultural venues include National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne Museum, and The Butterfly Club. Families come for attractions such as SEA LIFE Melbourne, Melbourne Zoo, and Puffing Billy Steam Train. The city's natural beauty is on display at St. Kilda Beach, Royal Botanic Gardens, and Luna Park.
In Melbourne, you'll find 1260 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. These are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Bungunyah Apartments - With a stay at this 4-star apartment, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a library, along with an in-room kitchen. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff.
- Eagle Hammer Cottages - This 4.5-star cottage features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Arcadia Cottages - With a stay at this 4.5-star cottage, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room kitchen.
Other favorite sights in Melbourne include Melbourne Cricket Ground, Bourke Street Mall, and Melbourne Central.
Getting Around Melbourne
With so many choices for transportation, seeing all of Melbourne is simple. You can access metro transit at Flagstaff Station, Melbourne Central Station, and Flinders Street Station. If you'd like to explore more of the area, hop aboard a train from Southern Cross Station, Showgrounds Station, or Spotswood Station.
Dressing for Melbourne
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 80°F during the day and 50°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 68°F, while the average at night is 41°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 64°F with nighttime averages of 41°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 75°F and nighttime averages of 45°F
- Melbourne gets about 0.47 inches of rain per year
- Usually February and January are the hottest months with an average of 78°F, whereas July and June are often coldest, averaging 41°F
Frequently asked questions
Where is the best place to stay in Melbourne?
If I need to cancel my hotel reservation in Melbourne, will I receive a refund?
What's the best budget-friendly accommodation in Melbourne?
What's the best accommodation option when travelling with children to Melbourne?
What's the best place to stay for a romantic getaway to Melbourne?
What's the best pet-friendly accommodation option in Melbourne?
What's the best accommodation option for a beach holiday in Melbourne?
What's the best high-end place to stay in Melbourne?
What's the best boutique accommodation in Melbourne?
What's the best hotel for a golf holiday in Melbourne?
Recent Reviews in Melbourne
More trip options
- What category of hotel are you looking for?
- Which hotels are closest to the Melbourne airport?
- Can you find accommodation in popular areas of Melbourne?
- Where to stay near top Melbourne attractions?
- More accommodation types in Melbourne
- What kind of hotels are in Melbourne?
- Which hotel chains are in Melbourne?
- What are the most popular hotels in Melbourne?
- Are there hotels near Melbourne?
- Hotels in Other Popular Destinations
- Expedia's Latest Trends