Visiting San Marcos
Families will find kid-friendly activities in San Marcos, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting and top-notch restaurants. Tourists who journey to this relaxing city can discover its breweries, sporting events, and university setting. Top sights around the area include Legoland California, Carlsbad Premium Outlets, and San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
- There are 9 hotels and other accommodations in San Marcos
- The closest major airport is in Carlsbad, CA (CLD-McClellan-Palomar) 10.7 from the city center
- The next closest is in San Diego, CA (MYF-Montgomery Field) 37 away
Sightseeing and Staying in San Marcos
University life is a highlight in the city and campuses to tour include California State University San Marcos and Palomar College. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Twin Oaks Golf Club and Double Peak Park.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 9 hotels and other lodging options to choose from in San Marcos. Below are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites San Diego North/San Marcos - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and overall value.
- Lakehouse Hotel and Resort - Our customers like the breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms at this resort. With a stay at this 4-star resort, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- Hampton Inn San Marcos - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its pool and clean, comfortable rooms.
Top places to visit outside the city include Legoland California, located 8.7 mi (13.9 from the city center, and Carlsbad Premium Outlets, which is 9.3 mi (15 away.
Dressing for San Marcos
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 73°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 42°F
- From April to June, the average is 83°F during the day and 41°F at night
- San Marcos gets about 13.11 inches of rain per year
- August and September are usually the hottest months averaging 88°F, while December and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 43°F