History buffs will enjoy exploring Newport, and visitors give high marks for the bustling port and local tours. Top sights in the city include Touro Synagogue, International Tennis Hall of Fame and Museum, and Naval War College Museum.
- There are 137 hotels and other accommodations in Newport
- The closest major airport is in Newport, RI (NPT-Newport State) 5.4 from the city center
- The next closest is in North Kingstown, RI (NCO-Quonset State) 14.2 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Newport
The city's cultural venues include International Tennis Hall of Fame and Museum and Naval War College Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Touro Synagogue, Fort Adams State Park, and The Breakers. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the seaside and these places to visit: Touro Park, Storer Park, and Newport Harbour.
In Newport, you'll find 137 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Here are top ones based on our user reviews:
- The Chanler at Cliff Walk - This 4.5-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi, and free valet parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and breakfast.
- The Spring Seasons Inn - Our customers like the breakfast and convenient parking at this B&B. This 3-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Point Pleasant Inn & Resort - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features an outdoor pool, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers like its breakfast and bathrooms.
Other top sights in Newport include Beechwood Mansion and Rough Point. Outside the city, popular places to see include Buttonwood Park Zoo, located 21.1 mi (34 from the heart of the city, and Roger Williams Park Zoo, which is 21.4 mi (34.4 away.
Dressing for Newport
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 50°F and the nighttime average to be 23°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 76°F during the day and 35°F at night
- July through September averages 79°F during the day and 53°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 67°F during the day and 25°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Newport is 48.46 inches
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 78°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 25°F