Travelers to Truckee give high marks for the ski areas and lakeside setting. This quaint city also attracts tourists with its mountain views and golf courses. Around the area, top sights include Northstar California Resort, Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe, and Bowers Mansion.
- You'll find 3316 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Lake Tahoe
- The closest major airport is in Truckee, CA (TKF-Truckee Tahoe) 3.6 from the city center
- The next closest is in Reno, NV (RNO-Reno-Tahoe Intl.) 40.4 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Truckee
The lakeside, mountain views, and hiking trails exemplify the city's natural beauty, and places to visit include Donner Memorial State Park and Donner Lake. Skiing, golfing, and biking are top activities, while sights to visit include Northstar California Resort, Ponderosa Golf Course, and Coyote Moon Golf Course. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Old Jail Museum and Commercial Row.
In Truckee, there are 615 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday retreat. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- One Village Place By Welk Resorts - With a stay at this 4-star villa, guests can enjoy access to ski-in/ski-out access and an outdoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and helpful staff.
- Tahoe Mountain Lodging - Our customers like the convenient parking and helpful staff at this condo resort. This 4-star condo resort features a full-service spa, a golf course, and ski slopes.
- The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe - This 5-star resort features 2 outdoor pools, a full-service spa, and ski slopes. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and bathrooms.
In the surrounding area, top places to visit include Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe, located 16.1 mi (25.9 from the heart of the city, and Bowers Mansion, which is 18.7 mi (30.1 away.
Getting Around Truckee
If you want to explore the larger area, hop aboard a train at Truckee Station. Truckee might not have as many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Truckee
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 51°F during the day and 14°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 79°F, while the average at night is 22°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 84°F with nighttime averages of 30°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 70°F and nighttime averages of 14°F
- About 30.71 inches of rain falls on Truckee each year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 82°F, whereas December and January are often coldest, averaging 15°F