Visiting South Lake Tahoe
Travelers to South Lake Tahoe give high marks for the lakeside setting, ski areas, and casinos. This city also attracts tourists with its mountain views and entertainment choices. Around the area, top sights include Heavenly Ski Resort, Kirkwood Mountain Resort, and Stewart Indian School.
- You'll find 3316 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Lake Tahoe
- The closest major airport is in Lake Tahoe, CA (TVL) 2.4 from the city center
- The next closest is in Truckee, CA (TKF-Truckee Tahoe) 46.7 away
Sightseeing and Staying in South Lake Tahoe
The lakeside, hiking trails, and mountain views highlight the city's natural beauty, and Pope Beach, Bijou Community Park, and Regan Beach are worth a visit. Skiing, snowboarding, and camping are top activities, while sights to visit include Heavenly Ski Resort, Mt. Tallac Trail, and Patsy's Skilift. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Magic Carpet Golf and Lake Tahoe Balloons.
In South Lake Tahoe, there are 1324 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect holiday retreat. Here are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly - Amenities at this 3-star hotel include free WiFi and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- The Landing Resort and Spa - Our customers like the proximity to shopping and clean, comfortable rooms at this resort. This 4.5-star resort features a full-service spa, a restaurant, and an outdoor pool.
- Heavenly Valley Lodge - With a stay at this 2.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room fireplace. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Popular places to see around the area include Kirkwood Mountain Resort, located 16.2 mi (26.1 from the heart of the city, and Stewart Indian School, which is 19.4 mi (31.2 away.
Dressing for South Lake Tahoe
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 51°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 16°F
- From April to June, the average is 77°F during the day and 25°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 82°F during the day and 31°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 69°F as the daytime average and 16°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for South Lake Tahoe is 20.35 inches
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 80°F, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 17°F