Search over 1 million properties and 550 airlines worldwide
Free cancellation on most hotels. Because flexibility matters.
You could be seeing lower prices
Reviewed on 24 Feb. 2021
Where to stay in Long Island
After the skyscraper-filled districts of Lower and Midtown Manhattan, Downtown Brooklyn has a more casual look and feel.
Scenic views, historic brownstones, narrow streets and fantastic restaurants and bars help create one of Brooklyn’s most charming neighborhoods.
Near a large Brooklyn park, important cultural sites stand next to gracious residences, while central avenues bustle with places to eat, drink and shop.
There’s something at once familiar and exciting about the Brooklyn waterfront, which has become emblematic of a generation.
Visiting Long Island
Families will find kid-friendly activities in Long Island, and visitors give high marks for the beaches, shopping, and array of wineries. This city also attracts tourists with its restaurants, live music, and aquarium. Top sights in the city include Sky Zone, Long Beach, and Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
- There are 771 hotels and other accommodations in Long Island
- The closest major airport is in Shirley, NY (WSH-Brookhaven Calabro) 10.5 from the city center
- The next closest is in Islip, NY (ISP-MacArthur) 11.5 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Long Island
The city is well known for its live music scene and cultural venues like Brooklyn Museum. Families come for attractions such as Sky Zone, Long Island Game Farm, and Splish Splash Water Park. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: Long Beach, Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, and Fire Island.
In Long Island, you'll be able to select from 771 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday retreat. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- SEVEN - Shelter Island Guest House - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Arlington Place Bed & Breakfast - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast in Bedford-Stuyvesant features free breakfast, free WiFi, and concierge services.
- The Hedges Inn - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers like its breakfast.
Other favorite sights in Long Island include Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Belmont Park, and Citi Field.
Getting Around Long Island
With so many transportation options, exploring all of Long Island is simple. Take advantage of metro transit at Jamaica 179 St. Station, 169 St. Station, and Far Rockaway - Mott Av. Station. If you want to journey outside of the city, hop aboard a train from Medford Station, Yaphank Station, or Bellport Station.
Dressing for Long Island
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 52°F and the nighttime average to be 23°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 80°F during the day and 36°F at night
- July through September averages 82°F during the day and 51°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 68°F during the day and 24°F at night
- Long Island gets about 46.18 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 81°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 25°F
More trip options
- What category of hotel are you looking for?
- Which hotels are closest to the Long Island airport?
- Can you find accommodation in popular areas of Long Island?
- Where to stay near top Long Island attractions?
- More accommodation types in Long Island
- What kind of hotels are in Long Island?
- Which hotel chains are in Long Island?
- What are the most popular hotels in Long Island?
- Are there hotels near Long Island?
- Hotels in Other Popular Destinations
- Expedia's Latest Trends