History buffs will enjoy exploring Derby, and visitors give high marks for the lively bar scene. Welcoming and quaint, this city attracts tourists with its cathedral and art. Top sights around the area include Ashby de la Zouch Castle, Nottingham Cathedral, and Nottingham Castle.
- There are 75 hotels and other accommodations in Derby
- The closest major airport is in East Midlands (EMA) 14.5 from the city center
- The next closest is in Nottingham (NQT) 26.5 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Derby
The city is well known for its art scene and cultural venues like Derby Museum and Art Gallery. Its historic sites and cathedral are notable and landmarks include Melbourne Hall. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Derby Cathedral and Derby Theatre.
In Derby, you'll find 75 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday getaway. Here are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Kegworth House - This 5-star guesthouse features free WiFi, free parking, and a bar.
- The Boot - Our customers like the family-friendly amenities and helpful staff at this inn. This 3.5-star inn features a restaurant, free WiFi, and free parking.
- The Great Northern - With a stay at this 4-star inn, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with an in-room coffeemaker. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Popular places to see in the area include Ashby de la Zouch Castle, located 12.2 mi (19.6 from the city center, and Nottingham Cathedral, which is 13.5 mi (21.7 away.
Getting Around Derby
If you want to journey outside of the area, ride aboard a train from Derby Midland Station, Peartree Station, or Spondon Station. Derby might not have many public transportation choices so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Derby
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 51°F during the day and 34°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 68°F, while the average at night is 38°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 70°F with nighttime averages of 47°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 59°F and nighttime averages of 36°F
- Average annual rainfall for Derby is 0.79 inches
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 68°F, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging 35°F