History buffs will enjoy exploring Ballarat, and all visitors are sure to appreciate the museums. Tourists who journey to this welcoming city can discover its art, gardens, and lakeside.
- There are 60 hotels and other accommodations in Ballarat
- The closest major airport is in Melbourne, VIC (AVV-Avalon) 74.7 from the city center
- The next closest is in Melbourne, VIC (MEL-Tullamarine) 87.8 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Ballarat
The city is well known for its art and museums, and cultural venues include Art Gallery of Ballarat and Gold Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Sovereign Hill, Museum of Australian Democracy at Eureka, and Eureka Hall. The gardens and lakeside highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Lake Esmond Botanical Garden, Eureka Aquatic Center, and Ballarat Wildlife Park.
In Ballarat, you'll find 60 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Here are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Ballarat Premier Apartments - With a stay at this 4.5-star apartment, guests can enjoy access to free parking and conference space, along with an in-room kitchen. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its central location and helpful staff.
- Newington Apartments - Our customers like the comfortable beds and location at this apartment. This 3.5-star apartment features a restaurant, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Best Western Plus Ballarat Suites - With a stay at this 4-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a business center, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and room size.
Getting Around Ballarat
If you want to venture outside of the area, ride aboard one of the trains from Ballarat Station. Ballarat might not have many public transit options so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Ballarat
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 77°F and the nighttime average to be 50°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 69°F during the day and 41°F at night
- July through September averages 62°F during the day and 41°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 73°F during the day and 44°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Ballarat is 0.79 inches
- Hottest months are usually February and January with an average temperature of 75°F, while the coldest months are July and June with an average of 41°F