History buffs will enjoy exploring Athens, and visitors give high marks for the fascinating museums, abundant cafés, and renowned art. This city also attracts tourists with its monuments, theaters, and shopping. Top sights in the city include Ancient Agora, Roman Agora, and Parthenon.
- There are 892 hotels and other accommodations in Athens
- The closest major airport is in Athens (ATH-Eleftherios Venizelos) 19.9 from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Athens
Known for its museums, art, and theaters, the city's cultural venues include Acropolis Museum, Odeon of Herodes Atticus, and Benaki Museum. Attractions like Attica Zoological Park, Athens Planetarium, and Greek Reptile Centre are fun for kids of all ages. Notable for its historic sites, monuments, and temples, the city's landmarks include Ancient Agora, Roman Agora, and Parthenon.
In Athens, you'll be able to select from 892 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. These are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Athens Boutique Residence - This 4-star apartment in Athens City Centre features free WiFi, a café, and valet parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and walkable location.
- Scale Suites - Our customers like the beach locale and helpful staff at this aparthotel. With a stay at this 4-star aparthotel, guests can enjoy access to free valet parking and a 24-hour business center, along with an in-room kitchenette.
- ABA Athens Boutique Apartments - Located in Athens City Centre, this 3-star apartment features a kitchen, free WiFi, and a furnished balcony. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and WiFi.
Other favorite sights in Athens include Filopappos Hill, Hellenic Parliament, and Athens Olympic Stadium.
Getting Around Athens
With so many choices for transportation, exploring Athens is a breeze. You can walk to nearby metro stations including Monastiraki Station, Thissio Station, and Panepistimio Station. If you'd like to explore more of the area, ride aboard a train from Athens Thiseio Station, Athens Central Station, or Moschato-Tavros Rouf Station.
Dressing for Athens
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 63°F during the day and 42°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 87°F, while the average at night is 49°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 90°F with nighttime averages of 63°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 78°F and nighttime averages of 44°F
- Average annual rainfall for Athens is 15.20 inches
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 88°F, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging 43°F