Visitors give high marks for the shopping in Hakodate, which is also known for its seafood restaurants and sightseeing tours. Tourists can also enjoy the city's temples, festivals, and museums.
- There are 92 hotels and other accommodations in Hakodate
- The closest major airport is in Hakodate (HKD) 7.3 from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Hakodate
Cultural venues in the city include Hakodate Seikan Renrakusen Memorial Museum Mashumaru, Hakodate Takadaya Kahei Museum, and Sakamoto Ryoma Museum. The city is notable for landmarks like Kyu Soma-tei, Motomachi Catholic Church, and Old British Consulate of Hakodate. Shopping is a favorite activity, so consider an excursion to Ekini Fish Market and Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse.
In Hakodate, you'll be able to select from 92 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Here are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- THE SHARE HOTELS HakoBA Hakodate - This 3-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi, and a rooftop terrace. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and location.
- Wakamatsu Hot Spring Resort - Our customers like the helpful staff at this ryokan. With a stay at this 3.5-star ryokan, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with in-room flat-screen TVs.
- Granvillage Onuma - This 3-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Getting Around Hakodate
If you want to venture outside of the area, hop on a train at Hakodate Station. Hakodate may not have many public transit choices so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Hakodate
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 44°F during the day and 16°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 67°F, while the average at night is 30°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 76°F with nighttime averages of 49°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 66°F and nighttime averages of 19°F
- Average annual rainfall for Hakodate is 1.38 inches
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 73°F, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging 18°F