Travelers to Southend-on-Sea give high marks for the seaside and lively bar scene. Tourists can also enjoy the city's golf courses and gardens. Southend Pier, Rochester Cathedral, and Rochester Castle are some of the top sights around the area.
- There are 19 hotels and other accommodations in Southend-on-Sea
- The closest major airport is in Southend-on-Sea (SEN-Southend Municipal) 3.5 from the city center
- The next closest is in London (LCY-London City) 46.1 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Southend-on-Sea
The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the seaside and such places to visit as Thorpe Bay Beach and Shoebury East Beach. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Southend Pier and New Empire Theatre.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 19 hotels and other lodging options to select from in Southend-on-Sea. Here are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- The Beaches Guest house - Adults Only - Amenities at this 3-star guesthouse include free breakfast and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Roslin Beach Hotel - Our customers like the dining options and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Hamiltons Boutique Accommodation - This 4-star bed & breakfast is a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and beach locale.
Popular places to see outside the city include Rochester Cathedral, located 13.7 mi (22 from the heart of the city, and Rochester Castle, which is 13.7 mi (22 away.
Getting Around Southend-on-Sea
If you want to journey outside of the area, ride aboard a train from Southend-on-Sea Southend Central Station, Southend Victoria Station, or Southend East Station. Southend-on-Sea may not have many public transit options to choose from so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Southend-on-Sea
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 51°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 35°F
- From April to June, the average is 68°F during the day and 39°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 71°F during the day and 49°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 61°F as the daytime average and 37°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Southend-on-Sea is 1.02 inches
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 69°F, while February and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 35°F