Families will find kid-friendly activities in Rotorua, and visitors give high marks for the relaxing spas and lakeside setting. This culturally-rich city also attracts tourists with its hot springs and golf courses.
- There are 136 hotels and other accommodations in Rotorua
- The closest major airport is in Rotorua (ROT-Rotorua Regional) 6.6 from the city center
- The next closest is in Tauranga (TRG) 52.1 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Rotorua
Cultural venues in the city include Rotorua Arts Village, Tamaki Maori Village, and Rotorua Museum. Families come for attractions such as Skyline Rotorua, Rainbow Springs Kiwi Wildlife Park, and Agroventures. The lakeside, hot springs, and forests highlight the city's natural beauty, and Government Gardens, Kuirau Park, and Redwoods Whakarewarewa Forest are worth a visit.
In Rotorua, you'll be able to select from 136 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. Here are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Black Swan Lakeside Boutique Hotel - This 5-star hotel features a marina, a full-service spa, and free breakfast.
- Quest Rotorua Central - Our customers like the central location and helpful staff at this apartment. This 4-star apartment features free WiFi, parking, and concierge services.
- Hamurana Lodge - With a stay at this 4.5-star lodge, guests can enjoy access to an outdoor pool and free valet parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and location.
Dressing for Rotorua
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 77°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 52°F
- From April to June, the average is 70°F during the day and 41°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 64°F during the day and 40°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 75°F as the daytime average and 46°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Rotorua is 42.20 inches
- January and February are usually the hottest months averaging 76°F, while July and August are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 41°F