History buffs will enjoy exploring Dunedin, and visitors give high marks for the beautiful gardens, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. Tourists who journey to this walkable city can discover its local tours, museums, and cathedral. Top sights in the city include St. Paul's Cathedral, First Church of Otago, and Cadbury World.
- There are 89 hotels and other accommodations in Dunedin
- The closest major airport is in Dunedin (DUD-Dunedin Intl.) 24.2 from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Dunedin
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Cadbury World, Toitu Otago Settlers Museum, and New Zealand Sports Hall of Fame. Favorite family attractions include Dunedin Chinese Garden and NZ Marine Studies Centre and Aquarium. Its historic sites and cathedral are notable and landmarks include St. Paul's Cathedral, First Church of Otago, and Olveston.
In Dunedin, you'll be able to select from 89 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. These are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hazel House Boutique Bed & Breakfast - Guests who stay at this 4-star bed & breakfast in South Dunedin can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Bluestone On George - Our customers like the overall value and clean, comfortable rooms at this motel. Guests who stay at this 5-star motel in Dunedin City Centre can enjoy access to free parking and a fitness center, along with a private balcony.
- Hunters Moon - With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast.
Other favorite sights in Dunedin include Speight's Brewery, Otago Museum, and Dunedin Botanic Garden.
Getting Around Dunedin
To venture out into the surrounding area, hop on a train at Dunedin Railway Station. Dunedin may not have many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Dunedin
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 70°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 47°F
- From April to June, the average is 64°F during the day and 35°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 60°F during the day and 35°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 70°F as the daytime average and 42°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Dunedin is 1.42 inches
- January and February are usually the hottest months averaging 69°F, while July and August are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 36°F