Visitors to Akaroa are sure to enjoy the waterfront. Tourists can also enjoy the city's sightseeing tours and volcano viewpoints.
- There are 15 hotels and other accommodations in Akaroa
- The closest major airport is in Christchurch (CHC-Christchurch Intl.) 53.5 from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Akaroa
The picturesque setting of Le Bons Bay Beach and Okains Bay Beach exemplify the city's natural beauty. Exploring the waterfront is just one of the top activities, while Fishermans Bay Garden and Banks Peninsula Track are sights to visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Maori & Colonial Museum and Giant's House.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 15 hotels and other lodging accommodations to choose from in Akaroa. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Les Troupes Apartments - This 3.5-star apartment features free WiFi, free parking, and laundry facilities. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its location.
- La Rochelle Motel - Our customers like the helpful staff and clean rooms at this motel. This 4-star motel features free WiFi, free parking, and laundry facilities.
- Akaroa Criterion Motel - This 4.5-star motel features free WiFi, free parking, and laundry facilities. Expedia customers like its beach locale and clean, comfortable rooms.
Popular places to visit around the area include Lyttelton Harbour, located 21.1 mi (33.9 from the city center, and New Brighton Beach, which is 23.8 mi (38.4 away.
Dressing for Akaroa
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 70°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 47°F
- From April to June, the average is 64°F during the day and 35°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 60°F during the day and 35°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 70°F as the daytime average and 42°F as the nighttime average
- About 1.42 inches of rain falls on Akaroa each year
- January and December are usually the hottest months averaging 69°F, while July and August are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 36°F