Couples looking to get away will find a romantic atmosphere in Lugano, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. Tourists can also enjoy the city's cafés and museums. Top sights around the area include Sacred Mountain of the Rosary, Golf Club, and Villa del Balbianello.
- There are 40 hotels and other accommodations in Lugano
- The closest major airport is in Lugano (LUG-Agno) 3.4 from the city center
- The next closest is in Milan (MXP-Malpensa Intl.) 45.7 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Lugano
Cultural venues in the city include Cantonal Art Museum, Villa Ciani, and MASILugano Museum of Art of Italian Switzerland. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the lakeside and these places to visit: Parco Ciani, Mount Brè, and Path of Olives. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Via Nassa is a favorite for retail therapy.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 40 hotels and other lodging accommodations to pick from in Lugano. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola - This 5-star hotel features a full-service spa, 3 restaurants, and free breakfast. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and location.
- Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality Hotel - Our customers like the breakfast and overall value at this hotel. This 4-star hotel in Lugano City-Centre features free WiFi, a bar, and a 24-hour business center.
- Hotel Splendide Royal - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Lugano City-Centre can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and location.
In the surrounding area, top places to visit include Sacred Mountain of the Rosary, located 12.5 mi (20.1 from the city center, and Golf Club, which is 3.4 mi (5.4 away.
Getting Around Lugano
With so many choices for transportation, seeing Lugano is simple. Make your way to Lugano Funicular Station for metro transit. If you want to explore the larger area, hop aboard a train at Lugano Station.
Dressing for Lugano
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 57°F during the day and 33°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 76°F, while the average at night is 44°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 80°F with nighttime averages of 54°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 65°F and nighttime averages of 35°F
- About 1.02 inches of rain falls on Lugano each year
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 78°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 35°F