History buffs will enjoy exploring Istanbul, and visitors give high marks for the abundant cafés, shopping, and fascinating museums. This city also attracts tourists with its cathedral, restaurants, and architecture. Top sights in the city include Mall of Istanbul, Mixer, and Suleymaniye Mosque.
- There are 2294 hotels and other accommodations in Istanbul
- The closest major airport is in Istanbul (IST-Ataturk Intl.) 18.7 from the city center
- The next closest is in Istanbul (SAW-Sabiha Gokcen Intl.) 47.4 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Istanbul
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Mixer, Hagia Sophia, and Istanbul Archaeology Museum. Families come for attractions such as TurkuaZoo, Vialand, and Miniaturk. Its historic sites and cathedral are notable and landmarks include Suleymaniye Mosque, Topkapi Palace, and Basilica Cistern.
In Istanbul, there are 2294 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday getaway. Here are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Hammamhane - With a stay at this aparthotel in Istanbul City Center, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with an in-room kitchenette. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Ajwa Hotel Sultanahmet - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this hotel. This 5-star hotel in Old City features a restaurant, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Raffles Istanbul - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Besiktas can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 2 restaurants, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and proximity to shopping.
Other favorite sights in Istanbul include Mall of Istanbul, Hippodrome, and Blue Mosque.
Getting Around Istanbul
With so many ways to get around, seeing Istanbul is a breeze. Nearby metro stations include Mescid-i Selam Station, Cebeci Station, and Sultanciftligi Station. If you want to journey outside of the area, ride aboard a train from Istanbul Halkali Station, Istanbul Kanarya Station, or Istanbul Soguksu Station.
Dressing for Istanbul
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 56°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 36°F
- From April to June, the average is 78°F during the day and 42°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 81°F during the day and 57°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 70°F as the daytime average and 38°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Istanbul is 32.09 inches
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 79°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 37°F