No compassion nor compensation for having lost 1st 2 nights accommodation due to road closures. Both nights were slept in the car after flooding despite having confirmed with front desk only hours before expected arrival that roads were open. Overall the room was disgraceful and defines filth. The carpets didn't appear to have ever been cleaned, sharp objects found in them, sticky table and bench tops, torn curtains, teras in lounge, grime stains on chairs, blown light globes throughout including in the range-hood whilst trying to cook on frypans that need to be thrown out and replaced, everything burnt. Ceiling fan in main bedroom didn't work and unbelievably mouse poo found in the main bed. Microwave hadn't been cleaned nor had the oven. Oven tray didn't fit in the oven preventing oven door to close, very little cutlery, broken plastic forks and not even a paid of tongs. I found the previous occupants boarding in a cupboard, glasses found half full of something found in cupboards, broken clothes drier rack, human hair everywhere predominately in bathrooms, washing machine didn't spin properly, boiling hot water from taps, smashed bedroom window. Games room out of action, a lift out of action, sauna out of action, I certainly wouldn't stay in that room again, cleaners needs to be held accountable as does management. Owners should be made aware.