Visiting Virginia City
Visitors can enjoy all that Virginia City has to offer including the museums, casinos, and coffeehouses. Tourists can also enjoy the city's monuments and theaters. Around the area, top sights include Grimes Point - Hidden Cave Archaeological Site, Bowers Mansion, and Northern Nevada Children's Museum.
- You'll find 283 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Carson City
- The closest major airport is in Reno, NV (RNO-Reno-Tahoe Intl.) 24.3 from the city center
- The next closest is in Truckee, CA (TKF-Truckee Tahoe) 42.7 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Virginia City
Cultural venues in the city include Mark Twain Museum at the Territorial Enterprise, Piper's Opera House, and Silver State National Peace Officers Museum. The city is notable for landmarks like Comstock History Center, Saint Mary's in the Mountains Church, and St. Mary in the Mountains Catholic Church. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Delta Saloon and The Washoe Club Haunted Museum.
As you plan your vacation to Virginia City, you might not find the ideal place to stay centrally, but here are some lodging options nearby.
- Circus Circus Hotel & Casino Reno is 0.2 mi from central Virginia City. This 2.5-star hotel in Virginia City features a restaurant, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Nugget Casino Resort is 17.6 mi from the center of Virginia City. Guests who stay at this 3.5-star resort in Reno can enjoy access to a casino and 7 restaurants, along with free WiFi. Our customers like its overall value and quiet location.
- Grand Sierra Resort and Casino is located 16.5 mi from the heart of Virginia City. This 3.5-star resort in Sparks features a casino, 5 restaurants, and an indoor pool. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and overall value.
Popular places to see outside the city include Grimes Point - Hidden Cave Archaeological Site, located 9.1 mi (14.7 from the city center, and Bowers Mansion, which is 10.3 mi (16.6 away.
Dressing for Virginia City
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 53°F during the day and 24°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 80°F, while the average at night is 33°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 85°F with nighttime averages of 47°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 68°F and nighttime averages of 24°F
- Average annual rainfall for Virginia City is 11.61 inches
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 82°F, whereas December and January are often coldest, averaging 25°F