Couples looking to get away will find a romantic atmosphere in Porto, and visitors give high marks for the bustling port, abundant cafés, and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its wineries, restaurants, and local tours. Top sights in the city include Sandeman Cellars, Porto Cathedral, and Museum of Port Wine.
- There are 1047 hotels and other accommodations in Porto
- The closest major airport is in Porto (OPO-Dr. Francisco de Sa Carneiro) 10.9 from the city center
- The next closest is in Vila Real (VRL) 75.6 away
Sightseeing and Staying in Porto
The city's cultural venues include Museum of Port Wine and Casa da Musica. The city is notable for landmarks like Porto Cathedral, Almas Chapel, and Nossa Senhora da Serra do Pilar Church. Shopping is one of the favorite things to do, so consider an excursion to Bolhao Market, Ferreira Borges Market, and Cidade do Porto Shopping Centre.
In Porto, there are 1047 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday retreat. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Oporto Loft - Guests who stay at this 4-star guesthouse in União de Freguesias do Centro can enjoy access to free breakfast and a bar, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and convenient parking.
- BO - Sá de Noronha - Our customers like the helpful staff and comfortable beds at this apartment. Guests who stay at this 3-star apartment in Centro / Baixa can enjoy access to concierge services and an in-room kitchenette.
- Casas do Porto - Ribeira Apartments - Guests who stay at this 4-star apartment in Centro / Baixa can enjoy access to parking and concierge services, along with an in-room kitchenette. Expedia customers like its central location and helpful staff.
Other top sights in Porto include Sandeman Cellars. Top places to visit around the area include Braga Cathedral, located 29 mi (46.7 from the city center, and Archbishop's Palace, which is 29.1 mi (46.8 away.
Getting Around Porto
With so many ways to get around, exploring Porto is easy. You can take advantage of metro transit at Bolhao Station, Trindade Station, and Aliados Station. If you want to journey outside of the city, ride aboard a train from Porto Sao Bento Station, Porto Campanha Station, or Vila Nova de Gaia Station. You can find out about your options for water transportation at the port.
Dressing for Porto
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 63°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 40°F
- From April to June, the average is 74°F during the day and 47°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 77°F during the day and 54°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 72°F as the daytime average and 41°F as the nighttime average
- Porto gets about 50.00 inches of rain per year
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 76°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 41°F