Visiting El Calafate
Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring El Calafate, and visitors give high marks for the local tours and lakeside setting. This scenic city also attracts tourists with its glaciers.
- There are 95 hotels and other accommodations in El Calafate
- The closest major airport is in El Calafate (FTE-Comandante Armando Tola Intl.) 15.4 from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in El Calafate
The glaciers, lakeside, and hiking trails highlight the city's natural beauty, and Laguna Nimez, Calafate Fishing, and Bahia Redonda are worth a visit. Taking local tours is one of the top activities, while Anfiteatro Del Bosque, Argentinean Lake, and Punta Bandera Port are favorite sights to visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Plaza de los Pioneros and Museo de El Calafate.
In El Calafate, you'll be able to select from 95 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. Here are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hotel Ariel - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Schilling Hostel Patagonico - Our customers like the quiet location and helpful staff at this hostel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hostel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Cauquenes de Nimez - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff.
Dressing for El Calafate
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 59°F during the day and 39°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 52°F, while the average at night is 31°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 49°F with nighttime averages of 31°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 58°F and nighttime averages of 35°F
- Average annual rainfall for El Calafate is 15.04 inches
- Usually January and February are the hottest months with an average of 58°F, whereas July and June are often coldest, averaging 31°F