Visiting St. Andrews
History buffs will enjoy exploring St. Andrews, and visitors give high marks for the pristine golf courses and top-notch restaurants. Tourists who journey to this welcoming city can discover its university setting, cathedral, and beaches. Top sights around the area include Discovery Point, Verdant Works, and West Park.
- There are 30 hotels and other accommodations in St. Andrews
- The closest major airport is in Dundee (DND) 19.3 from the city center
- The next closest is in Edinburgh (EDI) 56.1 away
Sightseeing and Staying in St. Andrews
The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: St. Andrews Botanic Garden, East Sands, and West Sands. Golfing is just one of the top activities, while Old Course at St Andrews and St. Andrews Links are sights to visit. The university setting is a highlight of the city and University of St. Andrews is worth a campus tour.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 30 hotels and other lodging options to pick from in St. Andrews. Here are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- The Inn at Kingsbarns - This 4-star inn features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Old Course Hotel - Our customers like the breakfast and central location at this hotel. This 5-star hotel features a full-service spa, a golf course, and 4 restaurants.
- Fairmont St Andrews - This 5-star hotel features a full-service spa, a golf course, and 5 restaurants. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and pool.
Outside the city, popular places to see include Discovery Point, located 10.5 mi (16.8 from the heart of the city, and Verdant Works, which is 11.1 mi (17.8 away.
Getting Around St. Andrews
If you want to venture outside of the area, ride aboard one of the trains from St. Andrews Leuchars Station. St. Andrews might not have many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for St. Andrews
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 50°F and the nighttime average to be 34°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 64°F during the day and 37°F at night
- July through September averages 67°F during the day and 45°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 57°F during the day and 35°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for St. Andrews is 1.02 inches
- Hottest months are usually August and July with an average temperature of 65°F, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 34°F