Pukaha, National Wildlife Centre- Wildlife Reserve Tour
- Fantastic way to experience the unique fauna of New Zealand
- Expert guide sharing amusing quirks & history of the area
- Free time to explore the lush reserve at your own pace
- Insight into conservation efforts protecting the forest
- Chance to spot the incredibly rare & nocturnal kiwi bird
Wildlife Reserve Tour
Live Commentary in English.
What's included, what's not
Know before you book
- Children 4 and younger are complimentary.
- Children 15 and younger must be accompanied by a paying adult.
- You must be able to walk on unpaved or uneven terrain.
- At least 2 people are required for this activity to take place.
- This activity begins in Mount Bruce, which is approximately 77 miles (125 km) from Wellington and 40 miles (64 km) from Palmerston North. You must make your own way to the meeting point.
- The Mount Bruce Wildlife Reserve's hours of operation are 9 AM–4:30 PM.
- Check-in is 10 minutes prior to the booked tour start time.
What you can expect
Some of New Zealand's best wildlife is waiting for you at Pukaha Mount Bruce, a nature reserve filled with rare birds in a stretch of protected forest. With a guided tour and plenty of attractions, you can see kiwis, eels, tuatara, and more of the iconic New Zealand creatures that fill the woods.
Covering 940 acres (340 ha) of woodland in the North Island's interior, Pukaha Mount Bruce shows you some of the country's rarest creatures. A ranger shows you through the kiwi house, where you get the chance to meet the little nocturnal birds that have become synonymous with New Zealand, and the free-flight aviary lets you see the bush the way it was hundreds of years ago.
Along the way, you can learn about the reserve's work to restore the forest and bring endangered birds back into the countryside. Take some time after the tour to check out one of the 7 daily wildlife talks and hear stories about the history behind New Zealand's unique environment.
- Pukaha Mount Bruce Wildlife Reserve
- Mount Bruce Tararua District
- Pukaha Mount Bruce Wildlife Centre
- 85379 State Highway 2
- Mount Bruce Manawatu-Wanganui 5881
- Make Your Own Way There
- Wellington Wellington