Small-Group Island Tour with Visit to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Drive through the scenic & historical pasturelands of Waimea
- Crashing waves & gorgeous sea cliffs at Laupahoehoe Point
- Rainforest walk, sights of Akaka Falls & lunch in Honomu
- Beautiful trip along the jungle-filled Old Mamalahoa Highway
- Stunning views of after-sunset glow from Kilauea's lava lake
What's included, what's not
Know before you book
- You must be able to walk on unpaved or uneven terrain for no more than 3 miles total.
- Maximum group size is 5 people.
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible.
- Pick-up from Kona/Kohala hotels is between 9 AM and 9:30 AM. Please arrange pick-up from your hotel or a nearby location when you call to confirm your reservation.
- Pick-up from Hilo hotels is between 10 AM and 10:15 AM. Please arrange pick-up from your hotel or a nearby location when you call to confirm your reservation.
What you can expect
Immerse yourself in the waterfalls and rainforests along the famous Hamakua Coast before exploring Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. This tour is an awesome way to experience the Big Island's diverse scenery while expanding your knowledge of Hawaii in a small-group setting.
After pick-up from your hotel, embark on your journey to the lush rainforests that populate the east side of the island. Cruise along Highway 19 and pass though the town of Waimea, admiring vast cattle ranches that hold major significance in this part of the island’s history.
From Waimea, travel along the eastern flank of Mauna Kea volcano, commonly known as the famous Hamakua Coast. Thousands of years of erosion have carved deep valleys and steep cliffs into the side of the mountain, producing some of the island’s most striking imagery. Stop at Laupahoehoe for an outstanding visual example of the Pacific Ocean's powerful ability to carve rugged pinnacles into the coastline.
Continue along jungle roads to Akaka Falls, a stunning waterfall that plunges 442 feet (134 m) into the Kolekole gulch below. Heading back from the falls, stop at Hilo Sharks in Honomu for some fresh local wraps. After lunch, head towards Hilo along some of the island’s most scenic back roads. These roads wind along the Hamakua coast, through lush jungle gorges and past epic ocean vistas.
Round off your tour with a visit to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the summit of the Kilauea volcano. Gaze into Kilauea’s vast summit caldera, relatively young at 500 years old. Travel the east rift zone of Kilauea along Chain of Craters road, passing pit craters, scorched earth, steaming ground and lava flows old and new. Enjoy plenty of time to look around and learn about what's happening both above and below the ground.
Buy dinner at Lava Rock Café in Volcano and reflect on the day while preparing for one of the tour’s most memorable highlights. Head back to Kilauea’s summit after the sun has set and witness the stunning glow from Kilauea’s very active lava lake before a hassle-free trip back to your hotel.